- Duties and Responsibilities of a good waiter are to provide excellent service to the guests.
- A good waiter ensures the satisfaction of the customers.
- The main responsibilities of a waiter are taking the order of food and drink to the guests and serve.
- The duties and responsibilities of a food server is the same as a waiter duties and responsibilities.
- Most of the restaurant waiter is whole in charge of outlet like table set up, order taking, table cleaning, cash handling, checks closing, etc.
- A waiter is also responsible for prompt service to the customers.
- A waiter should always check the satisfaction level of the guest during having meals or while drinking their beverage.
- If you are a good waitresses or waiter then you should always familiarise yourself with the guest as soon as possible for a good relationship.
- Smart waiters or waitresses always do upselling of food and drinks to recommend the best selling items from the menu.
- A waiter is a server who is working in a restaurant, hotel, Cruise, café, lounge, bar, private function to serve the food and beverage to the customers on the table as requested.
- A Waiter is a server who present the brand name of the company in front of a lovely guest.
Type of Waiter
There are different type of waiter and they have different duties and responsibilities
- Head Waiter:- Headwaiter is a senior waiter, And a waiter need to follow the instruction of the head waiter.
- Waiter:- A waiter is a junior of headwaiter in the outlet and a waiter has the main responsibility of guest handling. A waiter is a senior to assistant waiter.
- Assistant Waiter:- Assistant waiter is a junior waiter who mostly works with the waiter to assist the waiter during guest handling.
- Bar Waiter:- A bar waiter is responsible to work in a bar department and serve the drinks.
Responsibility of Waiter
If you are a waiter or waitresses then you must know responsibility :-
- Greet the guest with a pleasant smile.
- Escort the guest to the table, While escorting make a conversation with guests so they get entertain.
- Assist them in sitting on a chair, start with kids, senior citizens, Lady, and gentlemen.
- Present the food and beverage menu and explain the “drink of the day” or “special food of the day”.
- Give a few minutes to choose the dishes or drinks from the menu.
- Before taking orders brief them about allergies if they are into anything.
- After taking the order repeat the order to the guest to avoid miss communication of orders.
- If your table is set then serve the drink before foodservice and give accompaniment as per meal timing if any.
- Now coordinate with your assistant waiter to food pickup from the galley and serve food on the table.
- Always double-check with guests after food service like “dear anything else shall I get for you on the table”.
- Once they have done their meal then you must clear the table and make it very neat and clean.
- Ask for tea/coffee at last to close the table.
- At last, you present the check and collect the bill payment.
- While leaving the guest from your station you must greet the guest again ” Thank you sir/mam for dining with us” have a lovely day.
- A waiter or waitresses have different names like food server, hotel waiter, restaurant server, etc.
Qualities of a Good Waiter or Waitresses
- A good waiter should be a very pleasant personality.
- A good waiter/waitress should have a good knowledge about food and beverage.
- The waiter should always on punctual and loyal with his work.
- A waiter should be an honest person.
- Always need to inspect all the food and drinks order before serving on the table.
- Attentiveness is one of the most important qualities of a waiter.
- A waiter is a brand ambassador of a restaurant or face of the outlet so his appearance should be neat and clean at all the time.
Salary of a waiter in India
If we compare the salary of a waiter in India from another country like the UAE, USA, Canada, etc. then it’s very very cheap.
After passing the diploma or degree in Hotel management they expect a good salary to start a career but the truth is something different.
Dreaming is a good sign to grown in your career but always dream with open eyes so please research properly before doing hotel management.
A fresher waiter gets paid only Rs. 8,000 to Rs. 12,000 per month only which is very low and never expect anyone.
So, Salary of a waiter in India is only Rs. 8000 to Rs. 12,000 per month.
You will be shocked to know about the salary of a waiter on a Cruise Ship, You must know the difference in salary.
Helpful article for cruise ship jobs:- Cruise ship jobs Interview questions and answers